Yes! You Should Believe in the Trinity: How to Answer Jehovah's Witnesses
A DECEPTIVE DOCTRINE OR A DECEPTIVE BOOKLET?
Make no mistake about it: Jehovah's Witnesses hate the Trinity. They believe that Christians got their doctrine of the Trinity from pagans and ultimately, from the devil himself. According to the Watchtower book Reconciliation (1928): "Never was there a more deceptive doctrine advanced than that of the trinity. It could have originated only in one mind, and that the mind of Satan the Devil."
Jehovah's Witnesses (JWs) zealously attack the Trinity for at least three reasons:
- they realize that most Catholics cannot readily explain or defend the Trinity.
- they think the Trinity is easy to discredit.
- they know that discrediting the Trinity descredits the divinity of Jesus.
Their chief weapon is a booklet called Should You Believe in the Trinity? This illustrated, 32 page booklet is packed with false arguments, deliberate misquotations, and distorted Scriptures.
In spite of its many errors, the booklet's arguments are cleverly presented. This deceptive booklet could easily shake the faith of many Catholics who aren't familiar with Church history or Sacred Scripture. It might also mislead people who aren't accustomed to detecting logical fallacies.
In the next few pages, we will expose this booklet's faulty reasoning, misuse of the Church Fathers, and misinterpretation of Sacred Scripture. At the same time, we will show you how to confidently answer JWs' many objections against the Trinity.
A Deceptive Doctrine or a Deceptive Booklet? Faulty Reasoning
- Error #1: Assuming that if two beliefs are similar, one comes from the other
- Error #2: Assuming that difficult beliefs are confusing and unreasonable
- Error #3: Assuming that religious truths must be explicitly taught in the bible
- Error #4: Using biased sources as objective authorities
Misuse of the Early Church Fathers
- St. Justin Martyr
- St. Irenaeus
- St. Clement of Alexandria
- St. Hippolytus
- Summary of the Early Church Fathers
Misinterpretation of Sacred Scripture
- The Divinity of Jesus
- The Holy Spirit
- The Trinity
- The JW Bible
Conclusion A Prayer to the Trinity
Authors: Father Frank Chacon & Jim Burnham Format: 8.5x11" softcover. 24 pages